Friday, May 16, 2008

When Bad Things Turn Good

I talk a lot about bad stuff that needs to be fixed. Some would say that all I do is bitch. That's not too far from true. But I TRY to do what I can when I can, if it's nothing more than letters to my legislators. (And I am quite sure that they are tired of hearing from me, but as Big Dick said, "So?")

I posted an article about the Abortion Restriction Act of 2008 several days ago. I sent letters of my disapproval of this horrible piece of legislation along with (apparently) many others. And today I received this e-mail:

Dear Heartland Heretic,

You've reached out to Governor Matt Blunt and the anti-choice extremists in Jefferson City. You have signed petitions, organized, tabled, and gone to Jefferson City to lobby legislators - you have done critically important work in protecting women's health. Today, your work paid off. You helped to defeat the Abortion Restriction Act of 2008!

Every year for the past 5 years, the Missouri Legislature has passed restrictive bills or eliminated programs that could have reduced the need for abortion services through family planning and sex education. This year, you defeated their sixth attempt.

Not only did you fight and win against the Abortion Restriction bill of 2008, but you also laid to rest this year's effort by David Reardon to put a dangerous, anti-choice ballot initiative on the ballot in November!

On behalf of the thousands of Missouri women, men, and teens who rely on Planned Parenthood's services, thank you! Soon, we will update you on where your legislators stood on reproductive rights this session, but for now, rest assured that your work has paid off.

Thank you for continuing to stand up for choice!

Sincerely,
The Planned Parenthood team
(Alison, Angie, Crystal, Dylan, Kellie, Kristen, Lauren, Lisa, M'Evie, Michelle, Sheila, Victoria)


So, what I am trying to say here is that someone is actually listening to common sense proffered by their constituents. 'The People' might still have a voice. We may still be able to turn the nation around 'to do the right thing' for all of us.

It is a small victory. But we take what we can get... and we just keep pushing.

It feels good to be able to report something good. I'd like to do it more often! And we did it together.

In Solidarity,
The Heartland Heretic