Sunday, March 22, 2009

Medicaid-almost the insurance for all most people.

Several years ago I met a doctor by the name of Abdullah Arshad. He seemed like really nice guy. And even more importantly he seemed more really nice doctor. This past winter during one of my routine office visits he announced to me, without the benefit of any form of lab work or tests that I had lymphoma.. You see I had chronic diarrhea for long as any of us could remember and I did have swollen lymph glands.. So, he decided that these were plenty enough indicators to make a diagnosis of Lymphoma,. However he decided that he wanted to have an in invasive procedures done on me know as a proctoscopy And he had to have one of his esteemed colleagues to do the procedure, a Doctor Oladeran. I had trust both of these gentleman.

On the day of the proctoscopy they all told me to be there bright and early in the morning so they could get me in early and the procedure done before anyone else. In a hospital with a bed capacity of around 90, by the time noon rolled around I began to ask what the hold up was. They had no answer. So, I insisted that if the did not have me on the table within the next 30 minutes that they could pull my IV and I would be on my way. They got me in.

Unfortunately, they claimed to have found a cancerous tumor and had to go back in. With all of the same “be here early” shit, they let me lay until 1:30PM. So, I calmly asked what the hold up was. The answer was that “due to your disease progression” and I interjected “Oh, you mean AIDS”. “ Well, because of the disease progression, they do not want to use the equipment on anyone after they use it on you.” I said, “Disconnect my IV. I am ready to go”. She said let me see what I can do. They immediately came and got me.

The cancerous tumor turned out to be a Medicaid fraud. There was no ‘tumor”.

My next meeting with Arshad, after he made me wait until all other patients had been seen at 7PM, he saw me for my 1:45pm. I insisted on a referral to a new clinic. Unfortunately, for me, that meant 200 miles away at St. Louis.

There is much more to this story. But I think this is bad enough. And it is all a Pemiscot Memorial Hospital in Hayti, MO.

And the result of both procedures is that I walked away with c. diff. The question now is how many walked away with HIV.