Monday, August 18, 2008

Russia claims pullback but forces move other way

Russia claims pullback but forces move other way
GORI, Georgia - Russia said Monday it had begun withdrawing from the conflict zone in Georgia, but it held fast to key positions and sent some of its troops in the opposite direction — closer to the Georgian capital.

Russian troops and vehicles roamed freely around the strategically located central city of Gori, Russian forces appeared to blow up the runway at a military base in the western town of Senaki.

There were few signs Russia was following the terms of a cease-fire to end the short war, which has driven tensions between Russia and the West to some of their highest levels since the breakup of the Soviet Union.


Undisclosed sources from The White House said on the condition of anonymity, "Those damned Ruskies have been looking in our play book again! I knew we shouldn't have written that shit down!" Whereupon King George responded by saying, "I had to write it down... well, had to have an aid write it down for me! What else will I have to put in my lyberry? It's my legisee!"