Thursday, September 17, 2009

Is Glenn Beck Bad for America?

Is Glenn Beck Bad for America?
The inevitable question is, How much of this industry is sincere? Last year, shortly after the election, Beck spoke with TIME's Kate Pickert, and he didn't sound very scared back then. Of Obama's early personnel decisions, he said, "I think so far he's chosen wisely." Of his feelings about the President: "I am not an Obama fan, but I am a fan of our country ... He is my President, and we must have him succeed. If he fails, we all fail." Of the Democratic Party: "I don't know personally a single Democrat who is a dope-smoking hippie that wants to turn us into Soviet Russia." Of the civic duty to trust: "We've got to pull together, because we are facing dark, dark times. I don't trust a single weasel in Washington. I don't care what party they're from. But unless we trust each other, we're not going to make it."

For the record, as if it needs to be said (and actually, I guess someone needs to say it and keep repeating it), Glenn Beck is not anyone's messiah. He is a snake oil salesman, a street hawking, insincere fake who is only making a buck off of fostering and festering extremist fear.

Don't buy into it. Boycott Beck!