Sunday, March 30, 2008

It's Tornado Season Again!

As it is well into storm season this year in the United States, and as I have lived most of my life in "Tornado Alley", I thought that it might be appropriate for me to write something on tornadoes. There have already been several major storms this year producing casualties. I have spent most of my life looking to the south west.

I was recently introduced to a really neat new blog called "Slideshows for your website and Blogs" . From there I navigated to their site called Nachofoto . And there I found this slideshow there which emphasizes the need for awareness of the weather.


Make Your Own Slideshow | More Slideshows

Below are the specifics on the first major weather event that I ever experienced, and probably the worst.

Date: 5/26/1973 Time: 1030 pm
Arkansas Counties Affected: Craighead, Poinsett
Length of path (miles): 55 Width of Path (feet): 900
Beg Lat/Lon: 35°18' /-91°20' End Lat/Lon: 35°50' /-90°41' F-scale: F4
(range of winds from 207-260 mph)

Seven people were injured across Northwest Poinsett County. The tornado killed one person at Otwell, Craighead County, and then the tornado moved into Jonesboro, devastating much of the residential and business district, killing one person and doing $44,000,000 damage. Eyewitnesses report seeing two funnels in Jonesboro. Another person died at Weiner. Eyewitnesses report two tornadoes were visible at Jonesboro at the same time.


I slept through this tornado on the north side of Jonesboro as it ripped through the southwest side of town and destroyed the neighborhood that I had lived in two years prior. The wind was so strong at my house that it peeled the roof over my bedroom back like a sardine can. When the storm cleared I joined a group of kids from my junior high school band and with wheel barrow's, shovels and sledge hammers, we walked around town helping people to salvage what they could and finish knocking down unsafe structures and walls that were still teetering. It had completely destroyed Jonesboro High School, McCarthur Junior High, and two or three elementary schools. And hundreds of homes were simply wiped of the earth. It was amazing that there were not more fatalities. The area was designated a National Disaster Area and the National Guard and the Red Cross were deployed for security and assistance.

One of our favorite pass times as kids was to ride around together in our car during bad weather looking for funnel clouds. I have watched many funnels drop down out of the clouds and drift past me. While it was always exhilarating, I was never afraid of them as long as I could see them. If they came toward us we would simply move out of their path and continue watching them. We saw five funnels pass by in succession one afternoon passing over the south side of Jonesboro. It was one of the most fascinating sights I have ever seen. A thousand yards or so apart, one right behind the other they paraded by us.

I have a deep and abiding respect for the power of nature. But as devastating as nature can be, it always seems worse when it strikes under the cover of night. Every household, indeed every individual should have a battery powered NOAA Weather Radio. You can get them for $10 or more virtually anywhere. When a storm hits at night and the power goes out, a NOAA Weather Radio can be your eyes into the darkness.

I would prefer to be outside during a storm. And near a shallow ditch. I will not suggest that this is the best advice. But I have seen way too many houses, buildings and other structures literally exploded and/or ripped apart by a direct hit from a twister. I prefer to take my chances outside in a ditch! Of course, a storm cellar is best. Then a basement. Although, in a basement you might find yourself having some difficulty digging your way out after it passes. But a ditch will offer you some protection from flying debris and an easy exit.

But the most important thing to remember during any stormy weather or other natural phenomena is to be aware of your surroundings. Of course, one might suggest that this is good advice any time and under any circumstances.

Peace